spark-dev mailing list archives

From DB Tsai <dbt...@dbtsai.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2019 18:14:40 GMT
Unfortunately, for this 2.4.1 RC cuts, we ran into couple critical bug
fixes unexpectedly just right after each RC was cut, and some of the
bugs were even found after the RC cut which is hard to know there is
still a blocker beforehand.

How about we start to test out the RC8 now given the differences
between RC8 and 2.4.0 are big? If an issue is found to justify to fail
RC8, we can include SPARK-27112 and SPARK-27160 in next cut. Thus,
even we decide to cut another RC, it will be easier to test.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

DB Tsai
Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 9:48 AM dhruve ashar <dhruveashar@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Imran on this. Since we are already on rc8, we don't want to indefinitely
hold the release for one more fix, but it this one is a severe deadlock.

> Note to myself and other community members: May be we can be more proactive in checking
and reporting inprogress PR reviews/JIRAs for any blockers as early or as soon as the first
RC is cut, so that we don't hold the release process. I believe in this case, the merge commit
and RC were in a very close time frame.

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:32 AM Imran Rashid <imran@therashids.com> wrote:
>>
>> Even if only PMC are able to veto a release, I believe all community members are
encouraged to vote, even a -1, to express their opinions, right?

>> I am -0.5 on the release because of SPARK-27112.  It is not a regression, so in that
sense I don't think it must hold the release.  But it is fixing a pretty bad deadlock.

>> that said, I'm only -0.5 because (a) I don't want to keep holding the release indefinitely
for "one more fix" and (b) this will probably only hit users running on large clusters --
probably sophisticated enough users to apply their own set of patches.  I'd prefer we cut
another rc with the fix, but understand the tradeoffs here.

>> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 10:17 AM Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it a regression from 2.4.0? that's not the only criteria but part of it.
>>> The version link is https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12344117

before that. I think we should include a critical bug like that in the current rc.

Java/Scala