On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 9:55 AM Sean Owen <srowen@apache.org> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 3:50 AM Myrle Krantz <myrle@apache.org> wrote:
> So... events coordinators?  I'd still make them committers.  I guess I'm still struggling to understand what problem making people VIP's without giving them committership is trying to solve.

We may just agree to disagree, which is fine, but I think the argument
is clear enough: such a person has zero need for the commit bit.
Turning it around, what are we trying to accomplish by giving said
person a commit bit? I know people say there's no harm, but I think
there is at least _some_ downside. We're widening access to change
software artifacts, the main thing that we put ASF process and checks
around for liability reasons. I know the point is trust, and said
person is likely to understand to never use the commit bit, but it
brings us back to the same place. I don't wish to convince anyone else
of my stance, though I do find it more logical, just that it's
reasonable within The Apache Way.

+1 to this.