spark-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jacek Laskowski <ja...@japila.pl>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.1.0 (RC1)
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2021 14:31:38 GMT
Hi,

BTW, wondering aloud. Since it was agreed to skip 3.1.0 and go ahead with
3.1.1, what's gonna happen with v3.1.0 tag [1]? Is it going away and we'll
see 3.1.1-rc1?

[1] https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v3.1.0-rc1

Pozdrawiam,
Jacek Laskowski
----
https://about.me/JacekLaskowski
"The Internals Of" Online Books <https://books.japila.pl/>
Follow me on https://twitter.com/jaceklaskowski

<https://twitter.com/jaceklaskowski>


On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 3:12 PM Jacek Laskowski <jacek@japila.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just reading this now. I'm for 3.1.1 with no 3.1.0 but the news that
> we're skipping that particular release. Gonna be more fun! :)
>
> Pozdrawiam,
> Jacek Laskowski
> ----
> https://about.me/JacekLaskowski
> "The Internals Of" Online Books <https://books.japila.pl/>
> Follow me on https://twitter.com/jaceklaskowski
>
> <https://twitter.com/jaceklaskowski>
>
>
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 6:13 AM Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls223@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Holden and Wenchen!
>>
>> Let me:
>> - prepare a PR for news in spark-website first about 3.1.0 accident late
>> tonight (in KST)
>> - and start to prepare 3.1.1 probably in few more days like next monday
>> in case other people have different thoughts
>>
>>
>>
>> 2021년 1월 7일 (목) 오후 2:04, Holden Karau <holden@pigscanfly.ca>님이
작성:
>>
>>> I think that posting the 3.1.0 maven release was an accident and we're
>>> going to 3.1.1 RCs is the right step forward.
>>> I'd ask for maybe a day before cutting the 3.1.1 release, I think
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-34018 is also a blocker (at
>>> first I thought it was just a test issue, but Dongjoon pointed out the NPE
>>> happens in prod too).
>>>
>>> I'd also like to echo the: it's totally ok we all make mistakes
>>> especially in partially manual & partially automated environments, I've
>>> created a bunch of RCs labels without recognizing they were getting pushed
>>> automatically.
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:57 PM Wenchen Fan <cloud0fan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I agree with Jungtaek that people are likely to be biased when testing
>>>> 3.1.0. At least this will not be the same community-blessed release as
>>>> previous ones, because the voting is already affected by the fact that
>>>> 3.1.0 is already in maven central. Skipping 3.1.0 sounds better to me.
>>>>
>>>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 12:54 PM Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls223@gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Okay, let me just start to prepare 3.1.1. I think that will address
>>>>> all concerns except that 3.1.0 will remain in Maven as incomplete.
>>>>> By right, removal in the Maven repo is disallowed. Overwrite is
>>>>> possible as far as I know but other mirrors that maintain cache will
get
>>>>> affected.
>>>>> Maven is one of the downstream publish channels, and we haven't
>>>>> officially announced and published it to Apache repo anyway.
>>>>> I will prepare to upload news in spark-website to explain that 3.1.0
>>>>> is incompletely published because there was something wrong during the
>>>>> release process, and we go to 3.1.1 right away.
>>>>> Are we all good with this?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> 2021년 1월 7일 (목) 오후 1:11, Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls223@gmail.com>님이
작성:
>>>>>
>>>>>> I think that It would be great though if we have a clear blocker
that
>>>>>> makes the release pointless if we want to drop this RC practically
given
>>>>>> that we will schedule 3.1.1 faster - non-regression bug fixes will
be
>>>>>> delivered to end users relatively fast.
>>>>>> That would make it clear which option we should take. I personally
>>>>>> don't mind dropping 3.1.0 as well; we'll have to wait for the INFRA
team's
>>>>>> response anyway.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 2021년 1월 7일 (목) 오후 1:03, Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com>님이
작성:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I don't agree the first two are blockers for reasons I gave earlier.
>>>>>>> Those two do look like important issues - are they regressions
from
>>>>>>> 3.0.1?
>>>>>>> I do agree we'd probably cut a new RC for those in any event,
so
>>>>>>> agree with the plan to drop 3.1.0 (if the Maven release can't
be
>>>>>>> overwritten)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 9:38 PM Dongjoon Hyun <
>>>>>>> dongjoon.hyun@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Before we discover the pre-uploaded artifacts, both Jungtaek
and
>>>>>>>> Hyukjin already made two blockers shared here.
>>>>>>>> IIUC, it meant implicitly RC1 failure at that time.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> In addition to that, there are two correctness issues. So,
I made
>>>>>>>> up my mind to cast -1 for this RC1 before joining this thread.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> SPARK-34011 ALTER TABLE .. RENAME TO PARTITION doesn't refresh
>>>>>>>> cache (committed after tagging)
>>>>>>>> SPARK-34027 ALTER TABLE .. RECOVER PARTITIONS doesn't refresh
cache
>>>>>>>> (PR is under review)
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Although the above issues are not regression, those are enough
for
>>>>>>>> me to give -1 for 3.1.0 RC1.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 3:52 PM Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I just don't see a reason to believe there's a rush?
just test it
>>>>>>>>> as normal? I did, you can too, etc.
>>>>>>>>> Or specifically what blocks the current RC?
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/holdenkarau
>>> Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.):
>>> https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9  <https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9>
>>> YouTube Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/holdenkarau
>>>
>>

Mime
View raw message