spark-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jacek Laskowski <ja...@japila.pl>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.1.0 (RC1)
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2021 14:12:31 GMT
Hi,

I'm just reading this now. I'm for 3.1.1 with no 3.1.0 but the news that
we're skipping that particular release. Gonna be more fun! :)

Pozdrawiam,
Jacek Laskowski
----
https://about.me/JacekLaskowski
"The Internals Of" Online Books <https://books.japila.pl/>
Follow me on https://twitter.com/jaceklaskowski

<https://twitter.com/jaceklaskowski>


On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 6:13 AM Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls223@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Holden and Wenchen!
>
> Let me:
> - prepare a PR for news in spark-website first about 3.1.0 accident late
> tonight (in KST)
> - and start to prepare 3.1.1 probably in few more days like next monday in
> case other people have different thoughts
>
>
>
> 2021년 1월 7일 (목) 오후 2:04, Holden Karau <holden@pigscanfly.ca>님이
작성:
>
>> I think that posting the 3.1.0 maven release was an accident and we're
>> going to 3.1.1 RCs is the right step forward.
>> I'd ask for maybe a day before cutting the 3.1.1 release, I think
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-34018 is also a blocker (at
>> first I thought it was just a test issue, but Dongjoon pointed out the NPE
>> happens in prod too).
>>
>> I'd also like to echo the: it's totally ok we all make mistakes
>> especially in partially manual & partially automated environments, I've
>> created a bunch of RCs labels without recognizing they were getting pushed
>> automatically.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:57 PM Wenchen Fan <cloud0fan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I agree with Jungtaek that people are likely to be biased when testing
>>> 3.1.0. At least this will not be the same community-blessed release as
>>> previous ones, because the voting is already affected by the fact that
>>> 3.1.0 is already in maven central. Skipping 3.1.0 sounds better to me.
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 12:54 PM Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls223@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Okay, let me just start to prepare 3.1.1. I think that will address all
>>>> concerns except that 3.1.0 will remain in Maven as incomplete.
>>>> By right, removal in the Maven repo is disallowed. Overwrite is
>>>> possible as far as I know but other mirrors that maintain cache will get
>>>> affected.
>>>> Maven is one of the downstream publish channels, and we haven't
>>>> officially announced and published it to Apache repo anyway.
>>>> I will prepare to upload news in spark-website to explain that 3.1.0 is
>>>> incompletely published because there was something wrong during the release
>>>> process, and we go to 3.1.1 right away.
>>>> Are we all good with this?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> 2021년 1월 7일 (목) 오후 1:11, Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls223@gmail.com>님이
작성:
>>>>
>>>>> I think that It would be great though if we have a clear blocker that
>>>>> makes the release pointless if we want to drop this RC practically given
>>>>> that we will schedule 3.1.1 faster - non-regression bug fixes will be
>>>>> delivered to end users relatively fast.
>>>>> That would make it clear which option we should take. I personally
>>>>> don't mind dropping 3.1.0 as well; we'll have to wait for the INFRA team's
>>>>> response anyway.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> 2021년 1월 7일 (목) 오후 1:03, Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com>님이
작성:
>>>>>
>>>>>> I don't agree the first two are blockers for reasons I gave earlier.
>>>>>> Those two do look like important issues - are they regressions from
>>>>>> 3.0.1?
>>>>>> I do agree we'd probably cut a new RC for those in any event, so
>>>>>> agree with the plan to drop 3.1.0 (if the Maven release can't be
>>>>>> overwritten)
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 9:38 PM Dongjoon Hyun <dongjoon.hyun@gmail.com>
>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Before we discover the pre-uploaded artifacts, both Jungtaek
and
>>>>>>> Hyukjin already made two blockers shared here.
>>>>>>> IIUC, it meant implicitly RC1 failure at that time.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> In addition to that, there are two correctness issues. So, I
made up
>>>>>>> my mind to cast -1 for this RC1 before joining this thread.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> SPARK-34011 ALTER TABLE .. RENAME TO PARTITION doesn't refresh
cache
>>>>>>> (committed after tagging)
>>>>>>> SPARK-34027 ALTER TABLE .. RECOVER PARTITIONS doesn't refresh
cache
>>>>>>> (PR is under review)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Although the above issues are not regression, those are enough
for
>>>>>>> me to give -1 for 3.1.0 RC1.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 3:52 PM Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I just don't see a reason to believe there's a rush? just
test it
>>>>>>>> as normal? I did, you can too, etc.
>>>>>>>> Or specifically what blocks the current RC?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>
>> --
>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/holdenkarau
>> Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.):
>> https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9  <https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9>
>> YouTube Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/holdenkarau
>>
>

Mime
View raw message