spark-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Holden Karau <hol...@pigscanfly.ca>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.1.0 (RC1)
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2021 05:04:14 GMT
I think that posting the 3.1.0 maven release was an accident and we're
going to 3.1.1 RCs is the right step forward.
I'd ask for maybe a day before cutting the 3.1.1 release, I think
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-34018 is also a blocker (at
first I thought it was just a test issue, but Dongjoon pointed out the NPE
happens in prod too).

I'd also like to echo the: it's totally ok we all make mistakes especially
in partially manual & partially automated environments, I've created a
bunch of RCs labels without recognizing they were getting pushed
automatically.

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:57 PM Wenchen Fan <cloud0fan@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Jungtaek that people are likely to be biased when testing
> 3.1.0. At least this will not be the same community-blessed release as
> previous ones, because the voting is already affected by the fact that
> 3.1.0 is already in maven central. Skipping 3.1.0 sounds better to me.
>
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 12:54 PM Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls223@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, let me just start to prepare 3.1.1. I think that will address all
>> concerns except that 3.1.0 will remain in Maven as incomplete.
>> By right, removal in the Maven repo is disallowed. Overwrite is possible
>> as far as I know but other mirrors that maintain cache will get affected.
>> Maven is one of the downstream publish channels, and we haven't
>> officially announced and published it to Apache repo anyway.
>> I will prepare to upload news in spark-website to explain that 3.1.0 is
>> incompletely published because there was something wrong during the release
>> process, and we go to 3.1.1 right away.
>> Are we all good with this?
>>
>>
>>
>> 2021년 1월 7일 (목) 오후 1:11, Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls223@gmail.com>님이
작성:
>>
>>> I think that It would be great though if we have a clear blocker that
>>> makes the release pointless if we want to drop this RC practically given
>>> that we will schedule 3.1.1 faster - non-regression bug fixes will be
>>> delivered to end users relatively fast.
>>> That would make it clear which option we should take. I personally don't
>>> mind dropping 3.1.0 as well; we'll have to wait for the INFRA team's
>>> response anyway.
>>>
>>>
>>> 2021년 1월 7일 (목) 오후 1:03, Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com>님이
작성:
>>>
>>>> I don't agree the first two are blockers for reasons I gave earlier.
>>>> Those two do look like important issues - are they regressions from
>>>> 3.0.1?
>>>> I do agree we'd probably cut a new RC for those in any event, so agree
>>>> with the plan to drop 3.1.0 (if the Maven release can't be overwritten)
>>>>
>>>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 9:38 PM Dongjoon Hyun <dongjoon.hyun@gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Before we discover the pre-uploaded artifacts, both Jungtaek and
>>>>> Hyukjin already made two blockers shared here.
>>>>> IIUC, it meant implicitly RC1 failure at that time.
>>>>>
>>>>> In addition to that, there are two correctness issues. So, I made up
>>>>> my mind to cast -1 for this RC1 before joining this thread.
>>>>>
>>>>> SPARK-34011 ALTER TABLE .. RENAME TO PARTITION doesn't refresh cache
>>>>> (committed after tagging)
>>>>> SPARK-34027 ALTER TABLE .. RECOVER PARTITIONS doesn't refresh cache
>>>>> (PR is under review)
>>>>>
>>>>> Although the above issues are not regression, those are enough for me
>>>>> to give -1 for 3.1.0 RC1.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 3:52 PM Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> I just don't see a reason to believe there's a rush? just test it
as
>>>>>> normal? I did, you can too, etc.
>>>>>> Or specifically what blocks the current RC?
>>>>>>
>>>>>

-- 
Twitter: https://twitter.com/holdenkarau
Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.):
https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9  <https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9>
YouTube Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/holdenkarau

Mime
View raw message