spark-user mailing list archives

From Philip Ogren <philip.og...@oracle.com>
Subject compare/contrast Spark with Cascading
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2013 17:11:12 GMT

My team is investigating a number of technologies in the Big Data
space.  A team member recently got turned on to Cascading
<http://www.cascading.org/about-cascading/> as an application layer for
orchestrating complex workflows/scenarios. He asked me if Spark had an
"application layer"?  My initial reaction is "no" that Spark would not
have a separate orchestration/application layer.  Instead, the core
Spark API (along with Streaming) would compete directly with Cascading
for this kind of functionality and that the two would not likely be all
that complementary.  I realize that I am exposing my ignorance here and
could be way off.  Is there anyone who knows a bit about both of these
technologies who could speak to this in broad strokes?

Thanks!
Philip