spark-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Babcock <aaron.babc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: spark through vpn, SPARK_LOCAL_IP
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 21:32:29 GMT
Replying to document my fix:

I was able to trick spark into working by setting my hostname to my
preferred ip address.

ie
$ sudo hostname 192.168.250.47

Not sure if this is a good idea in general, but it worked well enough
for me to develop with my macbook driving the cluster through the vpn.

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Aaron Babcock <aaron.babcock@gmail.com> wrote:
> hmm, that did not seem to do it.
>
> Interestingly the problem only appears with
> rdd.take(1)
>
> rdd.collect() works just fine
>
> On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Aaron Davidson <ilikerps@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You might try also setting spark.driver.host to the correct IP in the
>> conf/spark-env.sh SPARK_JAVA_OPTs as well.
>>
>> e.g.,
>> -Dspark.driver.host=192.168.250.47
>>

>> On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Aaron Babcock <aaron.babcock@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am using spark through a vpn. My driver machine ends up with two ip
>>> addresses, one routable from the cluster and one not.
>>>
>>> Things generally work when I set the SPARK_LOCAL_IP environment
>>> variable to the proper ip address.
>>>
>>> However, when I try to use the take function ie: myRdd.take(1),  I run
>>> into a hiccup. From the logfiles on the workers I can see that they
>>> trying to connect to the nonroutable ip address, they are not
>>> respecting SPARK_LOCAL_IP somehow.
>>>
>>> Here is the relevant worker log snippet, 192.168.250.47 is the correct
>>> routable ip address of the driver, 192.168.0.7 is the incorrect
>>> address of the driver. Any thoughts about what else I need to
>>> configure?
>>>
>>> 13/10/05 16:17:36 INFO ConnectionManager: Accepted connection from
>>> [192.168.250.47/192.168.250.47]