Hi Paco,

Thank you for the various links and thoughts.  Yes - "workflow abstraction layer" is a better term for what I meant.  I have two questions for you:

1) when you say "Cascading is relatively agnostic about the distributed topology underneath it" I take that as a hedge that suggests that while it could be possible to run Spark underneath Cascading this is not something commonly done or would necessarily be straightforward.  Is this an unfair reading between the lines - or is Cascading-on-top-of-Spark an established technology stack that people are actually using?

2) Can you give an example of how Cascading is at a higher level of abstraction than Spark?  When I look at the landing page for Scalding (which runs on top of Cascading) and JCascalog (which claims to yet another level of abstraction above Cascading) I see getting started code snippets that look exactly like the sort of thing you do with Spark.  I can understand why this is a useful approach for a getting started page but it doesn't shed light on how these two technologies might differentiate from Spark with respect to the abstraction layer they target.  Any thoughts on this (or examples!) would be helpful to me.

Thanks,
Philip