spark-user mailing list archives

From Mayur Rustagi <mayur.rust...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Quality of documentation (rant)
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2014 14:36:35 GMT
You an run Spark independent of hadoop, but that is a lie :) it is a big
confusing. Short fuse to all your problems would be to use CDH if you have
that choice and are starting a cluster. They bundle in spark assisted by
data bricks. Its ride should be a little smoother atleast from install and
pre-built library perspective.

If you are free to start your own cluster another good gratifying
experience is to use spark-ec2 tools. They are pretty well built and you
should have a cluster ready within an hr or so. I guess the image is pretty
well maintained and runs well.

Hadoop has 2 parts HDFS(Storage) and Yarn(processing). Spark has
independent processing engine as well as yarn integrated processing engine
as well as SIMR (spark on map reduce for hadoop 1.0). All of these take
files from HDFS, hence even when spark doesnt need hadoop it relies on
hdfs, The entire process is not really well documented and the lingo used
is also not very clear. Application->Stage-> task  etc. There was a lot of
good discussion in Spark Summit 2014 videos. Last I am trying to setup
documentation steps and a distribution around spark  in
docs.sigmoidanalytics.com. You are free to contribute and help me out. Just
drop me a mail.

Regards
Mayur
http://www.sigmoidanalytics.com