On this note - the ganglia web front end that runs on the master (assuming you're launching with the ec2 scripts) is great for this.

Also, a common technique for diagnosing "which step is slow" is to run a '.cache' and a '.count' on the RDD after each step. This forces the RDD to be materialized, which subverts the lazy evaluation that causes such diagnosis to be hard sometimes.

- Evan