Hi Josh,

I just ran into this again myself and noticed that the source hasn't changed since we discussed in December.  Should I file an official bug in Jira?

Andrew

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 8:34 AM, Josh Rosen <rosenville@gmail.com> wrote:
I wonder whether making RangePartitoner .rangeBounds into a lazy val would fix this (https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark/blob/6169fe14a140146602fb07cfcd13eee6efad98f9/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/Partitioner.scala#L95).  We'd need to make sure that rangeBounds() is never called before an action is performed.  This could be tricky because it's called in the RangePartitioner.equals() method.  Maybe it's sufficient to just compare the number of partitions, the ids of the RDDs used to create the RangePartitioner, and the sort ordering.  This still supports the case where I range-partition one RDD and pass the same partitioner to a different RDD.  It breaks support for the case where two range partitioners created on different RDDs happened to have the same rangeBounds(), but it seems unlikely that this would really harm performance since it's probably unlikely that the range partitioners are equal by chance.