Some properties can be set in System.setProperty(). Like the -Dfile.encoding, can be set as ("file.encoding", "utf-8"). but some cannot, like the heap size, as it is too late to set the heap size. And in the new 0.9 version, I think you can use sparkconf.set() instead of System.setProperty(). It seems the same.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Chen Jingci