spark-user mailing list archives

From Allen Chang <allenc...@yahoo.com>
Subject RDD values and defensive copying
Date Fri, 23 May 2014 21:55:53 GMT
Hi all,

I had a question: if I have an RDD containing mutable values, and I run a
function over the RDD which mucks with the mutable values, what happens?
What happens in the case of a cogroup? e.g.:

  inputRdd.cogroup(inputRdd2).flatMapValues(functionThatModifiesValues())

Will this result in undefined behavior? Is it a best practice then to make
sure functionThatModifiesValues() performs a defensive copy if necessary?

Thanks,
Allen