spark-user mailing list archives

From durin <m...@simon-schaefer.net>
Subject Re: Solving Systems of Linear Equations Using Spark?
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2014 23:58:17 GMT
Hey Deb,

sorry for the late answer, I've been travelling and don't have much time yet
until in a few days.

To be precise, it's not me who has to solve the problem, but a person I know
well and who I'd like to help with a possibly faster method. I'll try to
state the facts as well as I know them, but forgive me if something does not
make sense.

The matrix to be solved represents a certain state in a hydrological
transport model. It usually has about 1000 rows and columns, therefore about
a million unknowns. This sparse matrix is symmetric, with values only on the
main and secondary diagonals. After solving this matrix, we get a new state
of the model.

The matrix represents a system of linear equations which are currently
solved iteratively with some defined termination criterion (usually a
difference of less than 10^-5 between two iterations).

The data is discretized using a finite difference method and is usually
solved on a single workstation using a PCG solver implemented in Fortran.

Does this help you and would your code be suited for this purpose?

Best regards,
Simon