spark-user mailing list archives

From Matei Zaharia <matei.zaha...@gmail.com>
Subject Breaking the previous large-scale sort record with Spark
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:54:16 GMT
Hi folks,

I interrupt your regularly scheduled user / dev list to bring you some pretty cool news for
the project, which is that we've been able to use Spark to break MapReduce's 100 TB and 1
PB sort records, sorting data 3x faster on 10x fewer nodes. There's a detailed writeup at
http://databricks.com/blog/2014/10/10/spark-breaks-previous-large-scale-sort-record.html.
72 minutes on 2100 nodes, we sorted it in 23 minutes on 206 nodes; and we also scaled up to
sort 1 PB in 234 minutes.

I want to thank Reynold Xin for leading this effort over the past few weeks, along with Parviz
Deyhim, Xiangrui Meng, Aaron Davidson and Ali Ghodsi. In addition, we'd really like to thank
Amazon's EC2 team for providing the machines to make this possible. Finally, this result would
of course not be possible without the many many other contributions, testing and feature requests
from throughout the community.

For an engine to scale from these multi-hour petabyte batch jobs down to 100-millisecond streaming
and interactive queries is quite uncommon, and it's thanks to all of you folks that we are
able to make this happen.

Matei