spark-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Dedup
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2014 07:03:48 GMT
I think the question is about copying the argument. If it's an
immutable value like String, yes just return the first argument and
ignore the second. If you're dealing with a notoriously mutable value
like a Hadoop Writable, you need to copy the value you return.

This works fine although you will spend a fair bit of time marshaling
all of those duplicates together just to discard all but one.

If there are lots of duplicates, It would take a bit more work, but
would be faster, to do something like this: mapPartitions and retain
one input value each unique dedup criteria, and then output those
pairs, and then reduceByKey the result.