Hi Eric,

Once you install IntelliJ IDE, follow this simple post to get started with scala. Now you have an IDE which works with Scala, Then for Spark Follow the below steps:

1. Install sbt plugins: Goto File -> Settings -> Plugins -> Install IntelliJ Plugins -> Search for sbt and install it
Inline image 1

2. After sbt plugin install, restart intellij and Start New Scala sbt project (File -> New Project -> Scala -> SBT
Inline image 2

Inline image 3

3. Now open up the build.sbt file and add the all the dependencies(Here i'm adding spark 1.1.0 with hadoop 2.4.0 dependency)
Inline image 4

4. Now Create a new Scala class in src -> main -> scala and type in your code.
Inline image 6

5. Right click and hit Run :)
Inline image 7

Inline image 8

6. Now to debug: Put break points at all those points wherever you need your execution to get paused and Goto Run -> Debug (or Shift + F9 )

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Best Regards