I'm working a cluster where I need to start the workers separately and connect them to a master.

I'm following the instructions here and using branch-1.1
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/spark-standalone.html#starting-a-cluster-manually

and I can start the master using
./sbin/start-master.sh

When I try to start the slave/worker using
./sbin/start-slave.sh it does't work. The logs say that it needs the master.
when I provide
./sbin/start-slave.sh spark://<master-ip>:7077 it still doesn't work.

I can start the worker using the following command (as described in the documentation).
./bin/spark-class org.apache.spark.deploy.worker.Worker spark://IP:PORT
Was wondering why start-slave.sh is not working?

Thanks
-Soumya