spark-user mailing list archives

From Villu Ruusmann <villu.ruusm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status of MLLib exporting models to PMML
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 14:38:47 GMT
Hi DB,

DB Tsai wrote
> I also worry about that the author of JPMML changed the license of
> jpmml-evaluator due to his interest of his commercial business, and he
> might change the license of jpmml-model in the future.

I am the principal author of the said Java PMML API projects and I want to
assure you that I have no plans of changing the license of the JPMML-Model
project now or in the future. In fact, most of the codebase is copyrighted
by University of Tartu, so I can not do it even if I wanted to.

I would also like to clarify the licensing of the JPMML-Evaluator project.
This is a fork of the legacy JPMML project (https://github.com/jpmml/jpmml),
which was started in early 2014 in order to provide support for the PMML
specification version 4.2, implement missing functionality and do other
enhancements. The project was initiated with the AGPLv3 license, there have
been no "unexpected" license changes.

Developing Java PMML APIs is a full-time work for me. If you (or anybody
else) can suggest how I can support myself doing this under some license
other than (A)GPLv3, I'd be interested to find out more. So far, I have
learned that BSD 3-Clause License doesn't work - I've yet to receive a
single "thank you" message for my previous work in this field, and many
other fields.

VR