spark-user mailing list archives

From Sanjay Subramanian <sanjaysubraman...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Spark or MR, Scala or Java?
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2014 16:35:15 GMT

Make sense ?
sanjay
      From: Krishna Sankar <ksankar42@gmail.com>
 To: Sean Owen <sowen@cloudera.com>
Cc: Guillermo Ortiz <konstt2000@gmail.com>; user <user@spark.apache.org>
 Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2014 4:53 PM
 Subject: Re: Spark or MR, Scala or Java?

Adding to already interesting answers:
   - "Is there any case where MR is better than Spark? I don't know what cases I should be
used Spark by MR. When is MR faster than Spark?"

   - Many. MR would be better (am not saying faster ;o)) for

   - Very large dataset,
   - Multistage map-reduce flows,
   - Complex map-reduce semantics

   - Spark is definitely better for the classic iterative,interactive workloads.
   - Spark is very effective for implementing the concepts of in-memory datasets & real
time analytics

   - Take a look at the Lambda architecture

   - Also checkout how Ooyala is using Spark in multiple layers & configurations. They
also have MR in many places
   - In our case, we found Spark very effective for ELT - we would have used MR earlier

   -  "I know Java, is it worth it to learn Scala for programming to Spark or it's okay
just with Java?"

   - Java will work fine. Especially when Java 8 becomes the norm, we will get back some of
the elegance
   - I, personally, like Scala & Python lot better than Java. Scala is a lot more elegant,
but compilations, IDE integration et al are still clunky
   - One word of caution - stick with one language as much as possible-shuffling between Java
& Scala is not fun
Cheers & HTH<k/>