spark-user mailing list archives

From <michael.engl...@nomura.com>
Subject RE: Spark History Server can't read event logs
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 09:22:23 GMT
Hi Vanzin,

I am using the MapR distribution of Hadoop. The history server logs are created by a job with
the permissions:

drwxrwx---   - <myusername> <mygroup>               2 2015-01-08 09:14 /apps/spark/historyserver/logs/spark-1420708455212

However, the permissions of the higher directories are mapr:mapr and the user that runs Spark
in our case is a unix ID called mapr (in the mapr group). Therefore, this can't read my job
event logs as shown above.

Thanks,
Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcelo Vanzin [mailto:vanzin@cloudera.com]
Sent: 07 January 2015 18:10
To: England, Michael (IT/UK)
Cc: user@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: Spark History Server can't read event logs

The Spark code generates the log directory with "770" permissions. On top of that you need
to make sure of two things:

- all directories up to /apps/spark/historyserver/logs/ are readable by the user running the
history server
- the user running the history server belongs to the group that owns /apps/spark/historyserver/logs/

I think the code could be more explicitly about setting the group of the generated log directories
and files, but if you follow the two rules above things should work. Also, I recommend setting
/apps/spark/historyserver/logs/ itself to "1777" so that any user can generate logs, but only
the owner (or a superuser) can delete them.

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 7:45 AM,  <michael.england@nomura.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> When I run jobs and save the event logs, they are saved with the
> permissions of the unix user and group that ran the spark job. The
> history server is run as a service account and therefore can’t read the files:
>

> Extract from the History server logs:
>

> 2015-01-07 15:37:24,3021 ERROR Client
> fs/client/fileclient/cc/client.cc:1009
>
> 15/01/07 15:37:24 ERROR ReplayListenerBus: Exception in parsing Spark
> event log
> /apps/spark/historyserver/logs/spark-1420644521194/EVENT_LOG_1
>
> org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Open failed for file:
> /apps/spark/historyserver/logs/spark-1420644521194/EVENT_LOG_1, error:
> Permission denied (13)
>

> Is there a setting which I can change that allows the files to be
> world readable or at least by the account running the history server?
> Currently, the job appears in the History Sever UI but only states ‘<Not Started>’.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Michael
>

> This e-mail (including any attachments) is private and confidential,
> may contain proprietary or privileged information and is intended for
> the named
> recipient(s) only. Unintended recipients are strictly prohibited from
> taking action on the basis of information in this e-mail and must
> contact the sender immediately, delete this e-mail (and all
> attachments) and destroy any hard copies. Nomura will not accept
> responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of, or
> the presence of any virus or disabling code in, this e-mail. If
> verification is sought please request a hard copy. Any reference to
> the terms of executed transactions should be treated as preliminary only and subject
to formal written confirmation by Nomura.

--
Marcelo