spark-user mailing list archives

From Marcelo Vanzin <van...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Spark History Server can't read event logs
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 18:32:12 GMT
Nevermind my last e-mail. HDFS complains about not understanding "3777"...

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Marcelo Vanzin <vanzin@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hmm. Can you set the permissions of "/apps/spark/historyserver/logs"
> to 3777? I'm not sure HDFS respects the group id bit, but it's worth a
> try. (BTW that would only affect newly created log directories.)
>
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 1:22 AM,  <michael.england@nomura.com> wrote:
>> Hi Vanzin,
>>
>> I am using the MapR distribution of Hadoop. The history server logs are created by
a job with the permissions:

>> drwxrwx---   - <myusername> <mygroup>               2 2015-01-08 09:14
/apps/spark/historyserver/logs/spark-1420708455212

>> However, the permissions of the higher directories are mapr:mapr and the user that
runs Spark in our case is a unix ID called mapr (in the mapr group). Therefore, this can't
read my job event logs as shown above.

>> Thanks,
>> Michael

you need to make sure of two things:

>> - all directories up to /apps/spark/historyserver/logs/ are readable by the user
running the history server
>> - the user running the history server belongs to the group that owns /apps/spark/historyserver/logs/
>>
>> I think the code could be more explicitly about setting the group of the generated
log directories and files, but if you follow the two rules above things should work. Also,
I recommend setting /apps/spark/historyserver/logs/ itself to "1777" so that any user can
generate logs, but only the owner (or a superuser) can delete them.

>> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 7:45 AM,  <michael.england@nomura.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> When I run jobs and save the event logs, they are saved with the
>>> permissions of the unix user and group that ran the spark job. The
>>> history server is run as a service account and therefore can’t read the files:
>>>

>>> Extract from the History server logs:
>>>

>>> 2015-01-07 15:37:24,3021 ERROR Client
>>> fs/client/fileclient/cc/client.cc:1009
>>>
>>> 15/01/07 15:37:24 ERROR ReplayListenerBus: Exception in parsing Spark
>>> event log
>>> /apps/spark/historyserver/logs/spark-1420644521194/EVENT_LOG_1
>>>
>>> org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Open failed for file:
>>> /apps/spark/historyserver/logs/spark-1420644521194/EVENT_LOG_1, error:
>>> Permission denied (13)
>>>

>>> Is there a setting which I can change that allows the files to be
>>> world readable or at least by the account running the history server?
>>> Currently, the job appears in the History Sever UI but only states ‘<Not
Started>’.

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>>> This e-mail (including any attachments) is private and confidential,
>>> may contain proprietary or privileged information and is intended for
>>> the named
>>> recipient(s) only. Unintended recipients are strictly prohibited from
>>> taking action on the basis of information in this e-mail and must
>>> contact the sender immediately, delete this e-mail (and all
>>> attachments) and destroy any hard copies. Nomura will not accept
>>> responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of, or
>>> the presence of any virus or disabling code in, this e-mail. If
>>> verification is sought please request a hard copy. Any reference to
>>> the terms of executed transactions should be treated as preliminary only and
subject to formal written confirmation by Nomura.

--
Marcelo