spark-user mailing list archives

From Michael Armbrust <mich...@databricks.com>
Subject Re: Can Spark benefit from Hive-like partitions?
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2015 22:32:23 GMT

> I'm not actually using Hive at the moment - in fact, I'm trying to avoid
> it if I can. I'm just wondering whether Spark has anything similar I can
> leverage?

Let me clarify, you do not need to have Hive installed, and what I'm
suggesting is completely self-contained in Spark SQL.  We support the Hive
Query Language for expressing partitioned tables when you are using a
HiveContext, but the execution will be done using RDDs.  If you don't
manually configure a hive installation, Spark will just create a local
metastore in the current directory.

In the future we are planning to support non-HiveQL mechanisms for
expressing partitioning.