spark-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Musselman <andrew.mussel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Row similarities
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2015 19:44:30 GMT
Yeah okay, thanks.

RowMatrix easily, and is being tracked by this JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-4823

> Andrew, sometimes (not always) it's OK to transpose a RowMatrix, if for example the number
of rows in your RowMatrix is less than 1m, you can transpose it and use rowSimilarities.

>> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Pat Ferrel <pat@occamsmachete.com> wrote:
>> BTW it looks like row and column similarities (cosine based) are coming to MLlib
through DIMSUM. Andrew said rowSimilarity doesn’t seem to be in the master yet. Does anyone
know the status?

>> See: https://databricks.com/blog/2014/10/20/efficient-similarity-algorithm-now-in-spark-twitter.html
>>
>> Also the method for computation reduction (make it less than O(n^2)) seems rooted
in cosine. A different computation reduction method is used in the Mahout code tied to LLR.
Seems like we should get these together.

>> On Jan 17, 2015, at 9:37 AM, Andrew Musselman <andrew.musselman@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Excellent, thanks Pat.
>>
>> On Jan 17, 2015, at 9:27 AM, Pat Ferrel <pat@occamsmachete.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Mahout’s Spark implementation of rowsimilarity is in the Scala SimilarityAnalysis
class. It actually does either row or column similarity but only supports LLR at present.
It does [AA’] for columns or [A’A] for rows first then calculates the distance (LLR) for
non-zero elements. This is a major optimization for sparse matrices. As I recall the old hadoop
code only did this for half the matrix since it’s symmetric but that optimization isn’t
in the current code because the downsampling is done as LLR is calculated, so the entire similarity
matrix is never actually calculated unless you disable downsampling.

>>> The primary use is for recommenders but I’ve used it (in the test suite) for
row-wise text token similarity too.

>>> On Jan 17, 2015, at 9:00 AM, Andrew Musselman <andrew.musselman@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Yeah that's the kind of thing I'm looking for; was looking at SPARK-4259 and
poking around to see how to do things.

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/SPARK-4259

pair-wise distance, on second thought.  Is there a pattern for that?

to rows that are similar to one another.

I'm going down a good path to transpose a matrix in order to run that.