Quoting Michael:
Predicate push down into the input format is turned off by default because there is a bug in the current parquet library that null pointers when there are full row groups that are null.

You can turn it on if you want: http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#configuration

Daniel