Oh sorry, I'm rereading your email more carefully.  Its only because you have some setup code that you want to amortize?

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 10:40 PM, Michael Armbrust <michael@databricks.com> wrote:
The types expected by applySchema are documented in the type reference section: http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#spark-sql-datatype-reference

I'd certainly accept a PR to improve the docs and add a link to this from the applySchema section :)

Can you explain why you are using mapPartitions and UDFs don't work for you?  SQL doesn't really have a great support for partitions in general... We do support for Hive TGFs though and we could possibly add better scala syntax for this concept or something else.