To force one instance per executor, you could explicitly subclass FlatMapFunction and have it lazy-create your parser in the subclass constructor.  You might also want to try RDD#mapPartitions() (instead of RDD#flatMap() if you want one instance per partition.  This approach worked well for me when I had a flat map function that used non-serializable native code / objects.

FWIW RDD#flatMap() does not appear to have changed 1.1 -> 1.2 (tho master has a slight refactor).  Agree it's worth checking the number of partitions in your 1.1 vs 1.2 test.