In the Mahout Spark R-like DSL [A’A] and [AA’] doesn’t actually do a transpose—it’s optimized out. Mahout has had a stand alone row matrix transpose since day 1 and supports it in the Spark version. Can’t really do matrix algebra without it even though it’s often possible to optimize it away.

Row similarity with LLR is much simpler than cosine since you only need non-zero sums for column, row, and matrix elements so rowSimilarity is implemented in Mahout for Spark. Full blown row similarity including all the different similarity methods (long since implemented in hadoop mapreduce) hasn’t been moved to spark yet.

Yep, rows are not covered in the blog, my mistake. Too bad it has a lot of uses and can at very least be optimized for output matrix symmetry.