Yeah, sorry.  The programming guide has not been updated for 1.3.  I'm hoping to get to that this weekend / next week.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Denny Lee <denny.g.lee@gmail.com> wrote:
Quickly reviewing the latest SQL Programming Guide (in github) I had a couple of quick questions:

1) Do we need to instantiate the SparkContext as per
// sc is an existing SparkContext.
val sqlContext = new org.apache.spark.sql.SQLContext(sc)

Within Spark 1.3 the sqlContext is already available so probably do not need to make this call.

2) Importing org.apache.spark.sql._ should bring in both SQL data types, struct types, and row
// Import Spark SQL data types and Row.
import org.apache.spark.sql._

Currently with Spark 1.3 RC1, it appears org.apache.spark.sql._ only brings in row.

scala> import org.apache.spark.sql._

import org.apache.spark.sql._

scala> val schema =

     |   StructType(

     |     schemaString.split(" ").map(fieldName => StructField(fieldName, StringType, true)))

<console>:25: error: not found: value StructType

         StructType(

But if I also import in org.apache.spark.sql.types_

scala> import org.apache.spark.sql.types._

import org.apache.spark.sql.types._

scala> val schema =

     |   StructType(

     |     schemaString.split(" ").map(fieldName => StructField(fieldName, StringType, true)))

schema: org.apache.spark.sql.types.StructType = StructType(StructField(DeviceMake,StringType,true), StructField(Country,StringType,true))

Wondering if this is by design or perhaps a quick documentation / package update is warranted.