spark-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Cheng Lian <lian.cs....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark SQL "lateral view explode" doesn't work, and unable to save array types to Parquet
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2015 11:20:13 GMT
This should be a bug in the Explode.eval(), which always assumes the 
underlying SQL array is represented by a Scala Seq. Would you mind to 
open a JIRA ticket for this? Thanks!

Cheng

On 3/27/15 7:00 PM, Jon Chase wrote:
> Spark 1.3.0
>
> Two issues:
>
> a) I'm unable to get a "lateral view explode" query to work on an 
> array type
> b) I'm unable to save an array type to a Parquet file
>
> I keep running into this:
>
>       java.lang.ClassCastException: [I cannot be cast to 
> scala.collection.Seq
>
> Here's a stack trace from the explode issue:
>
> root
>  |-- col1: string (nullable = false)
>  |-- col2s: array (nullable = true)
>  |    |-- element: integer (containsNull = true)
>
> ERROR org.apache.spark.executor.Executor Exception in task 7.0 in 
> stage 1.0 (TID 15)
> java.lang.ClassCastException: [I cannot be cast to scala.collection.Seq
> at 
> org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.expressions.Explode.eval(generators.scala:125) 
> ~[spark-catalyst_2.10-1.3.0.jar:1.3.0]
> at 
> org.apache.spark.sql.execution.Generate$$anonfun$2$$anonfun$apply$1.apply(Generate.scala:70)

> ~[spark-sql_2.10-1.3.0.jar:1.3.0]
> at 
> org.apache.spark.sql.execution.Generate$$anonfun$2$$anonfun$apply$1.apply(Generate.scala:69)

> ~[spark-sql_2.10-1.3.0.jar:1.3.0]
> at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$13.hasNext(Iterator.scala:371) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$11.hasNext(Iterator.scala:327) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$11.hasNext(Iterator.scala:327) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$11.hasNext(Iterator.scala:327) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at scala.collection.Iterator$class.foreach(Iterator.scala:727) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at scala.collection.AbstractIterator.foreach(Iterator.scala:1157) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at 
> scala.collection.generic.Growable$class.$plus$plus$eq(Growable.scala:48) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at 
> scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer.$plus$plus$eq(ArrayBuffer.scala:103) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at 
> scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer.$plus$plus$eq(ArrayBuffer.scala:47) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at scala.collection.TraversableOnce$class.to 
> <http://class.to>(TraversableOnce.scala:273) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at scala.collection.AbstractIterator.to 
> <http://scala.collection.AbstractIterator.to>(Iterator.scala:1157) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at 
> scala.collection.TraversableOnce$class.toBuffer(TraversableOnce.scala:265) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at scala.collection.AbstractIterator.toBuffer(Iterator.scala:1157) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at 
> scala.collection.TraversableOnce$class.toArray(TraversableOnce.scala:252) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at scala.collection.AbstractIterator.toArray(Iterator.scala:1157) 
> ~[scala-library-2.10.4.jar:na]
> at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$17.apply(RDD.scala:813) 
> ~[spark-core_2.10-1.3.0.jar:1.3.0]
> at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$17.apply(RDD.scala:813) 
> ~[spark-core_2.10-1.3.0.jar:1.3.0]
> at 
> org.apache.spark.SparkContext$$anonfun$runJob$5.apply(SparkContext.scala:1497) 
> ~[spark-core_2.10-1.3.0.jar:1.3.0]
> at 
> org.apache.spark.SparkContext$$anonfun$runJob$5.apply(SparkContext.scala:1497) 
> ~[spark-core_2.10-1.3.0.jar:1.3.0]
> at org.apache.spark.scheduler.ResultTask.runTask(ResultTask.scala:61) 
> ~[spark-core_2.10-1.3.0.jar:1.3.0]
> at org.apache.spark.scheduler.Task.run(Task.scala:64) 
> ~[spark-core_2.10-1.3.0.jar:1.3.0]
> at 
> org.apache.spark.executor.Executor$TaskRunner.run(Executor.scala:203) 
> ~[spark-core_2.10-1.3.0.jar:1.3.0]
> at 
> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) 
> [na:1.8.0_31]
> at 
> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) 
> [na:1.8.0_31]
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.8.0_31]
> WARN  o.a.spark.scheduler.TaskSetManager Lost task 7.0 in stage 1.0 
> (TID 15, localhost): java.lang.ClassCastException: [I cannot be cast 
> to scala.collection.Seq
> at 
> org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.expressions.Explode.eval(generators.scala:125)
> at 
> org.apache.spark.sql.execution.Generate$$anonfun$2$$anonfun$apply$1.apply(Generate.scala:70)
> at 
> org.apache.spark.sql.execution.Generate$$anonfun$2$$anonfun$apply$1.apply(Generate.scala:69)
> at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$13.hasNext(Iterator.scala:371)
> at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$11.hasNext(Iterator.scala:327)
> at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$11.hasNext(Iterator.scala:327)
> at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$11.hasNext(Iterator.scala:327)
> at scala.collection.Iterator$class.foreach(Iterator.scala:727)
> at scala.collection.AbstractIterator.foreach(Iterator.scala:1157)
> at 
> scala.collection.generic.Growable$class.$plus$plus$eq(Growable.scala:48)
> at 
> scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer.$plus$plus$eq(ArrayBuffer.scala:103)
> at 
> scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer.$plus$plus$eq(ArrayBuffer.scala:47)
> at scala.collection.TraversableOnce$class.to 
> <http://class.to>(TraversableOnce.scala:273)
> at scala.collection.AbstractIterator.to 
> <http://scala.collection.AbstractIterator.to>(Iterator.scala:1157)
> at 
> scala.collection.TraversableOnce$class.toBuffer(TraversableOnce.scala:265)
> at scala.collection.AbstractIterator.toBuffer(Iterator.scala:1157)
> at 
> scala.collection.TraversableOnce$class.toArray(TraversableOnce.scala:252)
> at scala.collection.AbstractIterator.toArray(Iterator.scala:1157)
> at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$17.apply(RDD.scala:813)
> at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$17.apply(RDD.scala:813)
> at 
> org.apache.spark.SparkContext$$anonfun$runJob$5.apply(SparkContext.scala:1497)
> at 
> org.apache.spark.SparkContext$$anonfun$runJob$5.apply(SparkContext.scala:1497)
> at org.apache.spark.scheduler.ResultTask.runTask(ResultTask.scala:61)
> at org.apache.spark.scheduler.Task.run(Task.scala:64)
> at org.apache.spark.executor.Executor$TaskRunner.run(Executor.scala:203)
> at 
> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
> at 
> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
>
>
>
> Maybe I'm defining the schema incorrectly?
>
>
>
> This test demonstrates both issues:
>
>     @Rule
>     public TemporaryFolder tmp = new TemporaryFolder();
>
>     @Test
>     public void testPercentileWithExplode() throws Exception {
>         StructType schema = DataTypes.createStructType(Lists.newArrayList(
>                 DataTypes.createStructField("col1", 
> DataTypes.StringType, false),
>                 DataTypes.createStructField("col2s", 
> DataTypes.createArrayType(DataTypes.IntegerType, true), true)
>         ));
>
>         JavaRDD<Row> rowRDD = sc.parallelize(Lists.newArrayList(
>                 RowFactory.create("test", new int[]{1, 2, 3})
>         ));
>
>         DataFrame df = sql.createDataFrame(rowRDD, schema);
>         df.registerTempTable("df");
>         df.printSchema();
>
>         List<int[]> ints = sql.sql("select col2s from df").javaRDD()
>                               .map(row -> (int[]) row.get(0)).collect();
>         assertEquals(1, ints.size());
>         assertArrayEquals(new int[]{1, 2, 3}, ints.get(0));
>
>
>         // fails: lateral view explode does not work: 
> java.lang.ClassCastException: [I cannot be cast to scala.collection.Seq
>         List<Integer> explodedInts = sql.sql("select col2 from df 
> lateral view explode(col2s) splode as col2").javaRDD()
>                                         .map(row -> 
> row.getInt(0)).collect();
>         assertEquals(3, explodedInts.size());
>         assertEquals(Lists.newArrayList(1, 2, 3), explodedInts);
>
>
>         // fails: java.lang.ClassCastException: [I cannot be cast to 
> scala.collection.Seq
> df.saveAsParquetFile(tmp.getRoot().getAbsolutePath() + "/parquet");
>
>
>         DataFrame loadedDf = sql.load(tmp.getRoot().getAbsolutePath() 
> + "/parquet");
>         loadedDf.registerTempTable("loadedDf");
>         List<int[]> moreInts = sql.sql("select col2s from 
> loadedDf").javaRDD()
>                                   .map(row -> (int[]) 
> row.get(0)).collect();
>         assertEquals(1, moreInts.size());
>         assertArrayEquals(new int[]{1, 2, 3}, moreInts.get(0));
>     }
>


Mime
View raw message