spark-user mailing list archives

From Manish Gupta 8 <mgupt...@sapient.com>
Subject Column Similarity using DIMSUM
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2015 14:40:35 GMT
Hi,

I am running Column Similarity (All Pairs Similarity using DIMSUM) in Spark on a dataset that
looks like (Entity, Attribute, Value) after transforming the same to a row-oriented dense
matrix format (one line per Attribute, one column per Entity, each cell with normalized value
– between 0 and 1).

It runs extremely fast in computing similarities between Entities in most of the case, but
if there is even a single attribute which is frequently occurring across the entities (say
in 30% of entities), job falls apart. Whole job get stuck and worker nodes start running on
100% CPU without making any progress on the job stage. If the dataset is very small (in the
range of 1000 Entities X 500 attributes (some frequently occurring)) the job finishes but
takes too long (some time it gives GC errors too).

If none of the attribute is frequently occurring (all < 2%), then job runs in a lightning
fast manner (even for 1000000 Entities X 10000 attributes) and results are very accurate.

I am running Spark 1.2.0-cdh5.3.0 on 11 node cluster each having 4 cores and 16GB of RAM.

My question is - Is this behavior expected for datasets where some Attributes frequently occur?

Thanks,
Manish Gupta