Thanks for the confirmation, Stephen.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Stephen Boesch <javadba@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, I was looking at an old version of FileInputFormat..

BEFORE setting the recursive config (mapreduce.input.fileinputformat.input.dir.recursive)
scala> sc.textFile("dev/*").count
     java.io.IOException: Not a file: file:/shared/sparkup/dev/audit-release/blank_maven_build

The default is null/not set which is evaluated as "false":

scala> sc.hadoopConfiguration.get("mapreduce.input.fileinputformat.input.dir.recursive")
res1: String = null

AFTER:

Now set the value :
sc.hadoopConfiguration.set("mapreduce.input.fileinputformat.input.dir.recursive","true")

scala> sc.hadoopConfiguration.get("mapreduce.input.fileinputformat.input.dir.recursive")
res4: String = true

scala>sc.textFile("dev/*").count

..
res5: Long = 3481

So it works.

Looking at FileInputFormat#listStatus():

    // Whether we need to recursive look into the directory structure

    boolean recursive = job.getBoolean(INPUT_DIR_RECURSIVE, false);

where:

  public static final String INPUT_DIR_RECURSIVE =

    "mapreduce.input.fileinputformat.input.dir.recursive";

FYI