spark-user mailing list archives

From YaoPau <jonrgr...@gmail.com>
Subject What does "Spark is not just MapReduce" mean? Isn't every Spark job a form of MapReduce?
Date Sun, 28 Jun 2015 16:13:18 GMT
I've heard "Spark is not just MapReduce" mentioned during Spark talks, but it
seems like every method that Spark has is really doing something like (Map
-> Reduce) or (Map -> Map -> Map -> Reduce) etc behind the scenes, with the
performance benefit of keeping RDDs in memory between stages.

Am I wrong about that?  Is Spark doing anything more efficiently than a
series of Maps followed by a Reduce in memory?  What methods does Spark have
that can't easily be mapped (with somewhat similar efficiency) to Map and
Reduce in memory?