spark-user mailing list archives

From Dave Ariens <dari...@blackberry.com>
Subject Accessing Kerberos Secured HDFS Resources from Spark on Mesos
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2015 15:49:01 GMT
I understand that Kerberos support for accessing Hadoop resources in Spark only works when
running Spark on YARN.  However, I'd really like to hack something together for Spark on Mesos
running alongside a secured Hadoop cluster.  My simplified appplication (gist: https://gist.github.com/ariens/2c44c30e064b1790146a)
receives a Kerberos principal and keytab when submitted.  The static main method called currently
then performs a UserGroupInformation. loginUserFromKeytab(userPrincipal, userKeytab) and authenticates
to the Hadoop.  This works on YARN (curiously without even without having to kinit first),
but not on Mesos.  Is there a way to have the slaves  running the tasks perform the same kerberos
login before they attempt to access HDFS?

Putting aside the security of Spark/Mesos and how that keytab would get distributed, I'm just
looking for a working POC.

Is there a way to leverage the Broadcast capability to send a function that performs this?

https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/api/scala/index.html#org.apache.spark.broadcast.Broadcast

Ideally, I'd love for this to not incur much overhead and just simply allow me to work around
the absent Kerberos support...

Thanks,

Dave