spark-user mailing list archives

From Jerry Lam <chiling...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Controlling number of executors on Mesos vs YARN
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:42:21 GMT
My experience with Mesos + Spark is not great. I saw one executor with 30 CPU and the other
executor with 6. So I don't think you can easily configure it without some tweaking at the
source code.

Sent from my iPad

On 2015-08-11, at 2:38, Haripriya Ayyalasomayajula <aharipriya92@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Spark on Yarn allows us to do it using --num-executors and --executor_cores commandline
arguments. I just got a chance to look at a similar spark user list mail, but no answer yet.
So does mesos allow setting the number of executors and cores? Is there a default number it
assumes?

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Tim Chen <tim@mesosphere.io> wrote:
> Forgot to hit reply-all.

is that each node is launched with one container and Spark is launching multiple tasks in
that container.

> In fine-grain mode there isn't a setting like that, as it currently will launch an executor
as long as it satisfies the minimum container resource requirement.

> I've created a JIRA earlier about capping the number of executors or better distribute
the # of executors launched in each node. Since the decision of choosing what node to launch
containers is all in the Spark scheduler side, it's very easy to modify it.