spark-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Spark SQL support for Hive 0.14
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2015 16:48:09 GMT

On 5 Aug 2015, at 02:08, Ishwardeep Singh <ishwardeep.singh@impetus.co.in<mailto:ishwardeep.singh@impetus.co.in>>
wrote:

Thanks Steve and Michael for your response.

Is there a tentative release date for Spark 1.5?

The branch is of and going through its bug stabilisation/test phase.

This is where you can help contribute to the project by downloading and playing with the beta
releases when they become available. This will give you early access to the code —but most
of all, timely fixes to any problems that surface. find a bug in a beta and it should hopefully
be fixed within the month. Find a bug in a production release and you can wait a lot longer.

This probably matters even more when it comes to that Hive support, because its a big change,
including changes to the SQL syntax to track HQL's changes. (More succinctly: some of the
regression tests broke as things like `date` and `double` were now types, and UNION had evolved.)

From: Michael Armbrust [mailto:michael@databricks.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 11:53 PM
To: Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com<mailto:stevel@hortonworks.com>>
Cc: Ishwardeep Singh <ishwardeep.singh@impetus.co.in<mailto:ishwardeep.singh@impetus.co.in>>;
user@spark.apache.org<mailto:user@spark.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Spark SQL support for Hive 0.14

I'll add that while Spark SQL 1.5 compiles against Hive 1.2.1, it has support for reading
from metastores for Hive 0.12 - 1.2.1

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com<mailto:stevel@hortonworks.com>>
wrote:
Spark 1.3.1 & 1.4 only support Hive 0.13

Spark 1.5 is going to be released against Hive 1.2.1; it'll skip Hive .14 support entirely
and go straight to the currently supported Hive release.

See SPARK-8064 for the gory details