spark-user mailing list archives

From Jerry Lam <chiling...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Controlling number of executors on Mesos vs YARN
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2015 16:12:52 GMT
Great stuff Tim. This definitely will make Mesos users life easier

Sent from my iPad

On 2015-08-12, at 11:52, Haripriya Ayyalasomayajula <aharipriya92@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Tim, Jerry.
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 1:18 AM, Tim Chen <tim@mesosphere.io> wrote:
> Yes the options are not that configurable yet but I think it's not hard to change it.
>
> I have a patch out actually specifically able to configure amount of cpus per executor
in coarse grain mode, and hopefully merged next release.

> I think the open question now is for fine grain mode can we limit the number of maximum
concurrent executors, and I think we can definitely just add a new option like spark.mesos.executor.max
to cap it.

> I'll file a jira and hopefully to get this change in soon too.
>
> Tim
>

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 6:21 AM, Haripriya Ayyalasomayajula <aharipriya92@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Spark evolved as an example framework for Mesos - thats how I know it. It is surprising
to see that the options provided by mesos in this case are less. Tweaking the source code,
haven't done it yet but I would love to see what options could be there!

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 5:42 AM, Jerry Lam <chilinglam@gmail.com> wrote:
> My experience with Mesos + Spark is not great. I saw one executor with 30 CPU and the
other executor with 6. So I don't think you can easily configure it without some tweaking
at the source code.

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 2015-08-11, at 2:38, Haripriya Ayyalasomayajula <aharipriya92@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Spark on Yarn allows us to do it using --num-executors and --executor_cores commandline
arguments. I just got a chance to look at a similar spark user list mail, but no answer yet.
So does mesos allow setting the number of executors and cores? Is there a default number it
assumes?

>> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Tim Chen <tim@mesosphere.io> wrote:
>> Forgot to hit reply-all.

assumption is that each node is launched with one container and Spark is launching multiple
tasks in that container.

>> In fine-grain mode there isn't a setting like that, as it currently will launch an
executor as long as it satisfies the minimum container resource requirement.

>> I've created a JIRA earlier about capping the number of executors or better distribute
the # of executors launched in each node. Since the decision of choosing what node to launch
containers is all in the Spark scheduler side, it's very easy to modify it.