spark-user mailing list archives

From <Saif.A.Ell...@wellsfargo.com>
Subject RE: What is the current status of ML ?
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2015 18:34:40 GMT
Thank you, so I was inversely confused. At first I thought MLLIB was the future, but based
on what you say. MLLIB will be the past. Intersting.
This means that if I look forward over using the pipelines system, I shouldn't be obsolete.

Any more insights welcome,
Saif

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Owen [mailto:sowen@cloudera.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 3:31 PM
To: Ellafi, Saif A.
Cc: user
Subject: Re: What is the current status of ML ?

I think the story is that the new spark.ml "pipelines" API is the future. Most (all?) of the
spark.mllib functionality has been ported over and/or translated. I don't know that spark.mllib
will actually be deprecated soon -- not until spark.ml is fully blessed as 'stable' I'd imagine,
at least. Even if it were I don't think it would go away. You can use spark.mllib now as it
is pretty stable with some confidence, and look to spark.ml if you're interested in the "2.0"
of MLlib and are willing to work with APIs that may change a bit.