spark-user mailing list archives

From Mohammed Guller <moham...@glassbeam.com>
Subject RE: how to introduce spark to your colleague if he has no background about *** spark related
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2016 23:43:16 GMT
Hi Charles,

You may find slides 16-20 from this deck useful:
http://www.slideshare.net/mg007/big-data-trends-challenges-opportunities-57744483

I used it for a talk that I gave to MS students last week. I wanted to give them some context
before describing Spark.

It doesn’t cover all the stuff that you have on your agenda, but I would be happy to guide
you. Feel free to send me a direct email.

Mohammed
Author: Big Data Analytics with Spark<http://www.amazon.com/Big-Data-Analytics-Spark-Practitioners/dp/1484209656/>

From: Xiao Li [mailto:gatorsmile@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 10:41 PM
To: Jörn Franke
Cc: charles li; user
Subject: Re: how to introduce spark to your colleague if he has no background about *** spark
related

My 2 cents. Concepts are always boring to the people with zero background. Use examples to
show how easy and powerful Spark is! Use cases are also useful for them. Downloaded the slides
in Spark summit. I believe you can find a lot of interesting ideas!

Tomorrow, I am facing similar issues, but the audiences are three RDBMS engine experts. I
will go over the paper Spark SQL in Sigmod 2015 with them and show them the source codes.

Good luck!

Xiao Li

It depends of course on the background of the people but how about some examples ("word count")
how it works in the background.

On 01 Feb 2016, at 07:31, charles li <charles.upboy@gmail.com<mailto:charles.upboy@gmail.com>>