spark-user mailing list archives

From Jules Damji <dmat...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Recommendation for a good book on Spark, beginner to moderate knowledge
Date Mon, 29 Feb 2016 00:47:12 GMT
Suhass,

When I referred to interactive shells, I was referring the the Scala & Python interactive
language shells. Both Python & Scala come with respective interacive shells. By just typing
“python” or “scala” (assume the installation bin directory is in your $PATH), it will
put fire up the shell.

As for the “pyspark” and “spark-shell”, they both come with the Spark installation
and are in $spark_install_dir/bin directory.

Have a go at them. Best way to learn the language.

Cheers
Jules

--
“Language is the palate from which we draw all colors of our life.”
Jules Damji

> On Feb 28, 2016, at 4:08 PM, Suhaas Lang <suhaas.lang@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jules,
>
> Could you please post links to these interactive shells for Python and Scala?
>
> On Feb 28, 2016 5:32 PM, "Jules Damji" <dmatrix@comcast.net <mailto:dmatrix@comcast.net>>
wrote:
> Hello Ashoka,
>
> "Learning Spark," from O'Reilly, is certainly a good start, and all basic video tutorials
from Spark Summit Training, "Spark Essentials", are excellent supplementary materials.

> And the best (and most effective) way to teach yourself is really firing up the spark-shell
or pyspark and doing it yourself—immersing yourself by trying all basic transformations
and actions on RDDs, with contrived small data sets.

> I've discovered that learning Scala & Python through their interactive shell, where
feedback is immediate and response is quick, as the best learning experience.