spark-user mailing list archives

From Nick Pentreath <nick.pentre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we use spark inside a web service?
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2016 07:04:08 GMT
Yes, really interesting discussion.

It would be really interesting to compare the performance of alternative
architectures. Specifically, I've found that Elasticsearch is a great
option for analytic workloads - it doesn't support SQL (joins in
particular), but its aggregation and arbitrary filtering capabilities make
it very powerful, plus it does play really nicely with Spark, so Spark SQL
could be layered on top (though I've only done this for offline batch jobs,
not real-time user facing queries).

It also lends itself potentially very nicely to a "lambda-style"
architecture, i.e. querying across historical aggregated data and the
"real-time" component (current day, or hour, or whatever) at the same time,
with careful data modelling.