spark-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe@Moosheimer.com" <...@Moosheimer.com>
Subject Re: ORC v/s Parquet for Spark 2.0
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2016 09:47:42 GMT
Hi Gourav,

Kudu (if you mean Apache Kuda, the Cloudera originated project) is a in memory db with data
storage while Parquet is "only" a columnar storage format.

As I understand, Kudu is a BI db to compete with Exasol or Hana (ok ... that's more a wish
:-).

Regards,
Uwe

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Kay-Uwe Moosheimer

> Am 27.07.2016 um 09:15 schrieb Gourav Sengupta <gourav.sengupta@gmail.com>:
>
> Gosh,
>
> whether ORC came from this or that, it runs queries in HIVE with TEZ at a speed that
is better than SPARK.

> Has anyone heard of KUDA? Its better than Parquet. But I think that someone might just
start saying that KUDA has difficult lineage as well. After all dynastic rules dictate.

> Personally I feel that if something stores my data compressed and makes me access it
faster I do not care where it comes from or how difficult the child birth was :)

> Regards,
> Gourav
>
>> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Sudhir Babu Pothineni <sbpothineni@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Just correction:
>>
>> ORC Java libraries from Hive are forked into Apache ORC. Vectorization default.
>>
>> Do not know If Spark leveraging this new repo?
>>
>> <dependency>
>>  <groupId>org.apache.orc</groupId>
>>     <artifactId>orc</artifactId>
>>     <version>1.1.2</version>
>>     <type>pom</type>
>> </dependency>
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> On Jul 26, 2016, at 4:50 PM, Koert Kuipers <koert@tresata.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> parquet was inspired by dremel but written from the ground up as a library with
support for a variety of big data systems (hive, pig, impala, cascading, etc.). it is also
easy to add new support, since its a proper library.

>>> orc bas been enhanced while deployed at facebook in hive and at yahoo in hive.
just hive. it didn't really exist by itself. it was part of the big java soup that is called
hive, without an easy way to extract it. hive does not expose proper java apis. it never cared
for that.

and part of orc has been enhanced while deployed for Facebook, Yahoo [2].

was designed as a library to be supported by multiple big data projects. nice

as a library that can be re-used. even today it brings in the kitchen sink of transitive dependencies.
yikes

While they work transparently for each Hadoop application you need to enable specific support
in the application for predicate push down.
do some tests (with correct predicate push down configuration). Keep in mind that both formats
work best if they are sorted on filter columns (which is your responsibility) and if their
optimatizations are correctly configured (min max index, bloom filter, compression etc) .

in hbase and then batch process it in large files in Orc or parquet format.

ORC or Parquet.

Parquet format.