spark-user mailing list archives

From Sun Rui <sunrise_...@163.com>
Subject Re: Can we redirect Spark shuffle spill data to HDFS or Alluxio?
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2016 14:17:33 GMT
Yes, I also tried FUSE before, it is not stable and I don’t recommend it
> On Aug 24, 2016, at 22:15, Saisai Shao <sai.sai.shao@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Also fuse is another candidate (https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/MountableHDFS <https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/MountableHDFS>),
but not so stable as I tried before.

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 10:09 PM, Sun Rui <sunrise_win@163.com <mailto:sunrise_win@163.com>>
wrote:
> For HDFS, maybe you can try mount HDFS as NFS. But not sure about the stability, and
also there is additional overhead of network I/O and replica of HDFS files.

>> On Aug 24, 2016, at 21:02, Saisai Shao <sai.sai.shao@gmail.com <mailto:sai.sai.shao@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> Spark Shuffle uses Java File related API to create local dirs and R/W data, so it
can only be worked with OS supported FS. It doesn't leverage Hadoop FileSystem API, so writing
to Hadoop compatible FS is not worked.

>> Also it is not suitable to write temporary shuffle data into distributed FS, this
will bring unnecessary overhead. In you case if you have large memory on each node, you could
use ramfs instead to store shuffle data.

<tony.yan@tendcloud.com <mailto:tony.yan@tendcloud.com>> wrote:
>> Hi, All,
>> When we run Spark on very large data, spark will do shuffle and the shuffle data
will write to local disk. Because we have limited capacity at local disk, the shuffled data
will occupied all of the local disk and then will be failed.  So is there a way we can write
the shuffle spill data to HDFS? Or if we introduce alluxio in our system, can the shuffled
data write to alluxio?