Cool, learn something new every day.  Thanks again.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 4:08 PM ayan guha <guha.ayan@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for reporting back. Glad it worked for you. Actually sum with partitioning behaviour is same in oracle too.

On 10 Aug 2016 03:01, "Jon Barksdale" <jon.barksdale@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Santoshakhilesh,

I'd seen that already, but I was trying to avoid using rdds to perform this calculation.

@Ayan, it seems I was mistaken, and doing a sum(b) over(order by b) totally works.  I guess I expected the windowing with sum to work more like oracle.  Thanks for the suggestion :)

Thank you both for your help,

Jon

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 3:01 AM Santoshakhilesh <santosh.akhilesh@huawei.com> wrote:

You could check following link.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35154267/how-to-compute-cumulative-sum-using-spark

From: Jon Barksdale [mailto:jon.barksdale@gmail.com]
Sent: 09 August 2016 08:21
To: ayan guha
Cc: user
Subject: Re: Cumulative Sum function using Dataset API

I don't think that would work properly, and would probably just give me the sum for each partition. I'll give it a try when I get home just to be certain.

To maybe explain the intent better, if I have a column (pre sorted) of (1,2,3,4), then the cumulative sum would return (1,3,6,10).

Does that make sense? Naturally, if ordering a sum turns it into a cumulative sum, I'll gladly use that :)

Jon