Hi Jacob.

My understanding of Dataset is that it is basically an RDD with some optimization gone into it. RDD is meant to deal with unstructured data?

Now DataFrame is the tabular format of RDD designed for tabular work, csv, SQL stuff etc.

When you mention DataFrame is just an alias for Dataset[Row] does that mean  that it converts an RDD to DataSet thus producing a tabular format?

Thanks

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

On 1 September 2016 at 22:49, Jakob Odersky <jakob@odersky.com> wrote:
> However, what really worries me is not having Dataset APIs at all in Python. I think thats a deal breaker.

What is the functionality you are missing? In Spark 2.0 a DataFrame is just an alias for Dataset[Row] ("type DataFrame = Dataset[Row]" in core/.../o/a/s/sql/package.scala).
Since python is dynamically typed, you wouldn't really gain anything by using Datasets anyway.