​No, ​
I'm not advising you to use .rdd, just saying it is possible.
​Although I'd only use RDDs if you had a good reason to, given Datasets now, they are not gone or even deprecated.​

You do not need to order the whole data set to get the top eleme
​nt. That isn't what top does though. You might be interested to look at the source code. Nor is it what orderBy does if the optimizer is any good.

​Computing .rdd doesn't materialize an RDD. It involves some non-zero overhead in creating a plan, which should be minor compared to execution. So would any computation of "top N" on a Dataset, so I don't think this is relevant.

​orderBy + take is already the way to accomplish "Dataset.top". It works on Datasets, and therefore DataFrames too, for the reason you give. I'm not sure what you're asking there.