spark-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tableau BI on Spark SQL
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2017 22:15:47 GMT
With a lot of data (TB) it is not that good, hence the extraction. Otherwise you have to wait
every time you do drag and drop. With the extracts it is better.

> On 30 Jan 2017, at 22:59, Mich Talebzadeh <mich.talebzadeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Jorn,
>
> So Tableau uses its own in-memory representation as I guessed. Now the question is how
is performance accessing data in Oracle tables>

> Dr Mich Talebzadeh

> http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com
>
> Disclaimer: Use it at your own risk. Any and all responsibility for any loss, damage
or destruction of data or any other property which may arise from relying on this email's
technical content is explicitly disclaimed. The author will in no case be liable for any monetary
damages arising from such loss, damage or destruction.

>> On 30 January 2017 at 21:51, Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Depending on the size of the data i recommend to schedule regularly an extract in
tableau. There tableau converts it to an internal in-memory representation outside of Spark
(can also exist on disk if memory is too small) and then use it within Tableau. Accessing
directly  the database is not so efficient.
>> Additionally use always the newest version of tableau..
>>
>>> On 30 Jan 2017, at 21:57, Mich Talebzadeh <mich.talebzadeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Has anyone tried using Tableau on Spark SQL?
>>>
>>> Specifically how does Tableau handle in-memory capabilities of Spark.
>>>
>>> As I understand Tableau uses its own propriety SQL against say Oracle. That is
well established. So for each product Tableau will try to use its own version of SQL against
that product  like Spark
>>> or Hive.
>>>
>>> However, when I last tried Tableau on Hive, the mapping and performance was not
that good in comparision with the same tables and data in Hive..

>>> My approach has been to take Oracle 11.g sh schema containing star schema and
create and ingest the same tables and data  into Hive tables. Then run Tableau against these
tables and do the performance comparison. Given that Oracle is widely used with Tableau this
test makes sense?