spark-user mailing list archives

From Adaryl Wakefield <adaryl.wakefi...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: using spark to load a data warehouse in real time
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2017 19:32:41 GMT
That does thanks. I’m starting to think a straight Kafka solution would be more appropriate.

Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA
Principal
Mass Street Analytics, LLC
913.938.6685
www.massstreet.net<http://www.massstreet.net>
www.linkedin.com/in/bobwakefieldmba<http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobwakefieldmba>
Twitter: @BobLovesData

From: Sam Elamin [mailto:hussam.elamin@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 2:29 AM
To: Adaryl Wakefield <adaryl.wakefield@hotmail.com>; Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com>
Cc: user@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: using spark to load a data warehouse in real time

Hi Adaryl

Having come from a Web background myself I completely understand your confusion so let me
try to clarify a few things

First and foremost, Spark is a data processing engine not a general framework. In the Web
applications and frameworks world you load the entities, map them to the UI and serve them
up to the users then save whatever you need to back to the database via some sort of entity
mapping. Whether that's an orm or a stored procedures or any other manner

Spark as I mentioned is a data processing engine so there Is no concept of an orm or data
mapper. You can give it the schema of what you expect the data to like like, it also works
well with most of the data formats being used in the industry like CSV,JSON,AVRO and PARQUET
including infering the schema from the data provided making it much easier to develop and
maintain

Now as to your question of loading data in real time it absolutely can be done. Traditionally
data coming in arrives at a location most people call the landing. This is where the extract
of the etl part begins.

As Jorn mention spark streaming isn't meant to write to a database but you can write to kafka
or kinesis to write to a pipeline then have another process call them and write to your end
datastore.

 The creators of spark realised that you're use case is absolutely valid and almost everyone
they talked to said that streaming on its own wasn't enough, for this very same reason the
concept of structured streaming was brought in place.

Se  this blog post from databricks

https://databricks.com/blog/2016/07/28/structured-streaming-in-apache-spark.html

You can potentially use the structured streaming APIs to continually read changes from hdfs
or in your case S3 then write it out via jdbc to your end datastore

I have done it before so I'll give you a few gotchas to be aware of

The most important one is that your end datastore or data warehouse supports streaming inserts,
some are better than others. Redshift specifically is really bad when it comes to small very
frequent deltas which is what streaming at high scale is

The second is that the structured streaming is still in alpha phase and the code is marked
as experimental, that's not to say it will die the minute you push any load through because
I found that it handled Gbs of data well. The pains I found is that the underlying goal of
structured streaming was to use the underlying dataframe APIs hence unifying the batch and
stream data types meaning you only need to learn one. However some methods don't yet work
on the streaming dataframes such as dropDuplicates

That's pretty much it. So really it comes down to you're use case, if you need the data to
be reliable and never go down then implement kafka or Kinesis. If it's a proof of concept
or you are trying to validate a theory use structured streaming as it's much quicker to write,
weeks and months of set up vs a few hours

I hope I clarified things for you

Regards
Sam

Sent from my iPhone