spark-user mailing list archives

From Adaryl Wakefield <adaryl.wakefi...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: using spark to load a data warehouse in real time
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2017 19:28:53 GMT
For all the work that is necessary to load a warehouse, could not that work be considered a
special case of CEP? Real time means I’m trying to get to zero lag between an event happening
in the transactional system and someone being able to do analytics on that data but not just
from that application. If that were the case, I’d use just an in memory solution and be
done. I want the business to be able to do 360 analysis on their business using up to the
second data.

This really shouldn’t be hard and I feel like I am missing something.

Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA
Principal
Mass Street Analytics, LLC
913.938.6685
www.massstreet.net<http://www.massstreet.net>
www.linkedin.com/in/bobwakefieldmba<http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobwakefieldmba>
Twitter: @BobLovesData

From: Jörn Franke [mailto:jornfranke@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:25 AM
To: Adaryl Wakefield <adaryl.wakefield@hotmail.com>
Cc: user@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: using spark to load a data warehouse in real time

I am not sure that Spark Streaming is what you want to do. It is for streaming analytics not
for loading in a DWH.

You need also define what realtime means and what is needed there - it will differ from client
to client significantly.

From my experience, just SQL is not enough for the users in the future. Especially large data
volumes require much more beyond just aggregations. These may become less useful in context
of large data volumes. They have to learn new ways of dealing with the data from a business
perspective by employing proper sampling of data from a large dataset, machine learning approaches
etc. These are new methods which are not technically driven but business driven. I think it
is wrong to assume that users learning new skills is a bad thing; it might be in the future
a necessity.

On 28 Feb 2017, at 23:18, Adaryl Wakefield <adaryl.wakefield@hotmail.com<mailto:adaryl.wakefield@hotmail.com>>