Hello,

I am implementing a spark streaming solution with Kafka and read that checkpoints cannot be used across application code changes - here

I tested changes in application code and got the error message as b below -

17/08/25 15:10:47 WARN CheckpointReader: Error reading checkpoint from file file:/tmp/checkpoint/checkpoint-1503641160000.bk
java.io.InvalidClassException: scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer; local class incompatible: stream classdesc serialVersionUID = -2927962711774871866, local class serialVersionUID = 1529165946227428979

While I understand that this is as per design, can I know why does checkpointing work the way that it does verifying the class signatures? Would it not be easier to let the developer decide if he/she wants to use the old checkpoints depending on what is the change in application logic e.g. changes in code unrelated to spark/kafka - Logging / conf changes etc

This is first post in the group. Apologies if I am asking the question again, I did a nabble search and it didnt throw up the answer.

Thanks for the help.
Hugo